Your doctors in Brandon, FL, can help when you are suffering a sprain.
You don’t have to be an athlete to experience a sprained ankle, shoulder, or other body part. Everyone is at risk for a sprain, especially if you are not in good physical condition, or you lift heavy objects. Even stepping off of the sidewalk can lead to an ankle sprain. Sprains can put you out of commission for days, weeks, or even months.
The good news is, your doctors can treat your sprain and get you back up on your feet. Dr. Joel Biggers and Dr. Elizabeth Biggers of Biggers Family Medicine in Brandon, FL, offer comprehensive healthcare services, including treatment of sprains.
So, how do you know if you have experienced a sprain? There are a few signs and symptoms to look out for. You may notice:
- A popping sound when you injure yourself
- Swelling around the injured body part
- Bruising around the injured body part
- Moderate to severe pain when you try to move the injured body part
- Stiffness, lack of flexibility, and loss of mobility
People who are older and seniors are especially at risk of experiencing a sprain because of:
- Problems with balance
- Living a primarily sedentary lifestyle
- Stiff joints and lack of flexibility
If you experience a sprain, you can try a few simple home remedies to get relief. Remember to:
- Rest and elevate the injured body part
- Put ice packs on the injured body part several times each day
- Wrap the injured body part in compression bandages to reduce swelling
For moderate to severe symptoms associated with a sprain, it’s best to visit your doctor. Professional treatments for a sprain include:
- Immobilization, to prevent excessive movement and further injury while you heal
- Prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medications to reduce swelling
- Physical therapy and stretching to increase strength and flexibility
- Wearing a cast, splint, or other devices to support your injured area
You can get relief from a sprain and your doctors can help. To learn more about the treatment of sprains and other medical services, call Dr. Joel Biggers and Dr. Elizabeth Biggers of Biggers Family Medicine in Brandon, FL, at (813) 655-4646 now!