Women's Health in Family Medicine: Gynecological and Obstetric Care
Your family medicine doctor can treat all the members of your family including women, by providing expert gynecological and obstetric care. Dr. Joel Biggers and Dr. Elizabeth Biggers at Biggers Family Medicine in Brandon, FL, offer comprehensive family medicine services, including women’s health care.
What You Need To Know About Women’s Care
Medical care for women is proactive, helping to keep your reproductive system healthy. Routine women’s health services begin with annual women’s health examinations. During a women’s health examination, your family medicine provider will:
- Perform a complete physical examination
- Check your blood pressure, pulse, and respiration
- Record your height and weight
- Order necessary lab tests to check cholesterol and blood sugar levels
- Order necessary imaging studies to check for osteoporosis and other musculoskeletal conditions
Your family medicine doctor will also perform yearly gynecological examinations, to maintain your reproductive health. During a routine gynecological appointment, your family medicine doctor will:
- Perform a vaginal exam to check your overall reproductive health
- Take a tissue sample for a pap smear to check for cervical cancer
- Do a breast exam, to check for early signs of breast cancer
Additional gynecological services include:
- Providing birth control methods for sexually active teens and women
- Treating gynecological issues including heavy bleeding and painful periods
- Counseling and treatment to help with menopause symptoms
- Medication therapy to decrease menopause symptoms and help prevent osteoporosis
- Lifestyle and dietary modification to control weight and increase strength, mobility, and flexibility
Want To Know More?
To discover more about how your family medicine doctor can help with women’s health concerns, talk with the experts. Call Dr. Joel Biggers and Dr. Elizabeth Biggers of Biggers Family Medicine in Brandon, FL. You can reach them in the office by calling (813) 655-4646, so call today.