Posts for tag: Blood Pressure Screening
Blood pressure screenings, one of the many services and treatments offered by your primary care physicians, Dr. Joel Biggers and Dr. Elizabeth Biggers of Biggers Family Medicine in Brandon, FL, help you protect your health. Do you know when you need a blood pressure screening?
How blood pressure screenings help you stay healthy
High blood pressure increases your risk of heart attack, strokes, aneurysms, heart disease, blood clots, enlarged heart, kidney disease, and vision loss. The condition affects one-third of Americans, according to the American Heart Association, yet often causes no symptoms.
Although you may feel perfectly fine, the increase in pressure may be damaging your arteries and increasing your risk of the diseases and conditions mentioned above. If high blood pressure isn't diagnosed and treated promptly, your health may soon be affected.
Do you need a blood pressure screening?
You may need a screening if:
- You're obese or overweight: Even a few extra pounds can increase your blood pressure.
- You have diabetes: You may be more likely to have higher-than-normal blood pressure if you have diabetes.
- Other people in your family have high blood pressure: High blood pressure tends to run in some families.
- You smoke: Smoking causes many dangerous changes in the body, including high blood pressure.
- You're stressed: All of us experience at least occasional stress due to work, family responsibilities, and other challenges. When stress becomes a constant part of your life, your risk of high blood pressure rises.
- You don't eat right or exercise: Following an unhealthy lifestyle may cause your blood pressure to increase.
- You drink alcoholic beverages often: Heavy use of alcohol is also linked to high blood pressure.
- You're in perfect health: High blood pressure can occur even if you eat a healthy diet, exercise often, and avoid smoking and drinking. Since you never know when you might develop high blood pressure, it's important to visit the Brandon, FL, primary care office for periodic blood pressure screenings and checkups.
Has it been a while since you had a blood pressure screening? Call your primary care physicians, Dr. Joel Biggers and Dr. Elizabeth Biggers of Biggers Family Medicine in Brandon, FL, at (813) 655-4646 to schedule your appointment.